د. ناهد الجميلي
is a statement about an area of
concern, a condition to be improved upon, a difficulty to be
A research problem, commonly called the heart
of research, is what researchers aim to answer later on as
they go through the research endeavor
A good research problem should have the following criteria:
1. Novel. A good research problem should be something
that is new. It may be a new process, product, or
2. Interesting. A good research problem should draw
attention and interest from other people.
3. Practical. The aim of research is to improve people’s
quality of living. A good research problem then should
be useful and beneficial to its target population.
4. Innovative. A good research problem should improve
the current state of existing technology.
5. Cost-effective. A good research problem should
provide a good value for money, time, resources, and
manpower while conducting the study. It should be
economical in addressing the problems of the
6. Feasibility: A research should be feasible in terms of
time, availability of subjects, facilities, equipment &
money and ethical considerations.
7. Ethics: A very important topic of research cannot be
considered feasible until & unless it is in accordance
with the ethical guidelines.
Another thing to consider and remember is that a research
problem should be SMART.
1. S-pecific. The research problem must be specifically
2. M-easurable. The research problem should be
quantifiable or observable. This may include interviews,
surveys, or recorded observations such as videos and
audio recordings. There should be instruments that will
help the researchers gather data from their
3. A-ttainable. A research problem should be easily
achieved, solved, or answered by the researcher after
all valid procedures had been carried out.
4. R-ealistic. It should be possible for the researchers to
perform the experimentations or observations needed
to solve their problems.
5. T-ime-Bound. Researchers should also consider the time
allotment for their research. They should think of a
research problem that could be carried out in the
given time period.